Re: Why must AUTOCOMMIT be ON to do txn control in plpgsql procedure?

От Bryn Llewellyn
Тема Re: Why must AUTOCOMMIT be ON to do txn control in plpgsql procedure?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I have a version of the code that I attached with my first email in this thread where I’ve added “raise notice” invocations to show the txid as my p1() and p2() execute. Everything that I see is consistent with what I wrote separately in reply to adrian.klaver@aklaver.com:

<<
1. my call p2() starts a txn.

2. However, during the execution of the proc, the usual autocommit behavior is programmatically turned off by explicit PostgreSQL code.

3. Other explicit PostgreSQL code makes “start transaction” inside a proc simply cause a runtime error under all circumstances. However, txns can be ended by “commit” or “rollback”. And new ones can be started—but only implicitly by executing a SQL statement that, as a top level SQL, would start a txn.

4. This is why “set transaction isolation level repeatable read” in my p2() is legal immediately after “rollback”—and produces the semantics I’d expect. At top level, and with autocommit turned on, it implicitly starts a txn—and you see the “begin” in the log file.

5. When the proc call ends, normal AUTOCOMMIT mode is turned on again, and a “commit” is issued automatically. This may, or may not, have something to do—as you can see by running p3() with AUTOCOMMIT ON.

I’m interested only in the case that my proc does txn control—i.e. my p2()—and so I’m not interested in how my p1() behaves.

About your “I believe there is no reason ever to begin a procedure with a rollback”, I already explained why I did that. My higher goal is to take advantage of the “serializable” isolation level to safely enforce a multi-row data rule. And I want my pspgsql proc—following the time-honored philosophy for stored procs—to own the complete implementation. I discovered that doing “rollback” as the first executable statement in my proc allowed me to do “set transaction isolation level serializable”. And I’ve found no other way to do this. As I mentioned, the “real” version of my proc, written this way does pass my functionality tests.

B.t.w., I noticed that “set transaction isolation level serializable” must be the very first statement after “rollback” (or “commit”). Even an invocation of txid_current() after the rollback and before the ““set transaction” causes this runtime error: “SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL must be called before any query”.

About your PS, I’m new to this list—so forgive me if I didn’t follow proper etiquette. But as adrian.klaver@aklaver.com pointed out, the functionality under discussion here is part of the core PostgreSQL implementation.