gap in sequence numbers

От Picavet Vincent
Тема gap in sequence numbers
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,
Please consider the following query.
The reftable inner query generates a table with 11 elements, 7 of them
having the groupkey 1, and the 4 others the groupkey 2. This set is then
grouped by the groupkey field, and after that a generate_series and a
sequence are used to create an ordered id.

My question is : why do the ids created by the sequence include a gap of
1 between the two groups ?
ie, why the id 5 is not present in the result set ?

I know I already ran into this kind of problem, and solved it by using
nextval outside of the query, but i'd like to understand the real reason
of this behaviour.

create sequence temp_seq2 start with 1;

select
    nextval('temp_seq2') as id,