Re: Trade Study on Oracle vs. PostgreSQL

От Steve Atkins
Тема Re: Trade Study on Oracle vs. PostgreSQL
Дата
Re: Trade Study on Oracle vs. PostgreSQL  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Sep 24, 2010, at 7:52 AM, Wang, Mary Y wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are starting a new project in my organization and need to have a database.  I proposed that we use PostgreSQL.
Becausewe already have the Oracle infrastructure in-house, I'm told that I need to do a simple trade study on Oracle
vs.PostgreSQL.  Based on the database requirements, it looks like we just need to create some relatively simple tables.
I'd like to get buy-ins from my co-workers.    I googled the web, and couldn't find anything that are more recent
stuff. Does anyone have more recent information?

> Thanks.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Assuming that both Oracle and Postgresql have the features you need (which they likely do) you're really talking about
performanceand TCO.

Your contract with Oracle prevents you from publishing any benchmarks, so you won't find much published about it
(which,in itself, says something about Oracle performance vs cost).

If you just need to see whether postgresql runs well enough for your needs you'll need to install it, on decent
hardware,and tune it and see how well it works with your application. Or, if you just want to run some basic synthetic
benchmarksyou might find pg_bench useful.

If you're looking for a performance trade study between postgresql and oracle then you'll need to run the comparison
yourself- ideally using the application you're interested in using with the database, or a synthetic benchmark that's
similarin transaction rate, complexity and concurrency. Again, you'd need to run them on comparable hardware and tune
themboth well.

If you have some budget for evaluation I suspect that one of the postgresql companies could install and tune an
installationfor you pretty inexpensively.

Cheers,
  Steve

От: Craig Ringer
Сообщение: Re: Restore/dump from "/usr/local/pgsql/data" directory
От: "Gauthier, Dave"
Сообщение: Re: Trade Study on Oracle vs. PostgreSQL