Re: Doc limitation update proposal: include out-of-line OID usage per TOAST-ed columns

От Andrey M. Borodin
Тема Re: Doc limitation update proposal: include out-of-line OID usage per TOAST-ed columns
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> On 8 Aug 2023, at 12:31, John Naylor <john.naylor@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>
> > > Also the shared counter is the cause of the slowdown, but not the reason for the numeric limit.
> >
> > Isn't it both? typedef Oid is unsigned int = 2^32, and according to GetNewOidWithIndex() logic if we exhaust the
wholeOID space it will hang indefinitely which has the same semantics as "being impossible"/permanent hang (?)

> Looking again, I'm thinking the OID type size is more relevant for the first paragraph, and the shared/global aspect
ismore relevant for the second.

> The last issue is how to separate the notes at the bottom, since there are now two topics.

Jakub, do you have plans to address this feedback? Is the CF entry still relevant?

Thanks!

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.