Re: proof concept: do statement parametrization

От Florian Pflug
Тема Re: proof concept: do statement parametrization
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Jul4, 2010, at 08:41 , Pavel Stehule wrote:
> I enhanced DO statement syntax to allowing a parameters. Syntax is
> relative simple:
>
> do ([varname] vartype := value, ...) $$ ... $$

I think it'd be more useful to put the values at the very end of the statement, not somewhere in the middle. For
positionalparameters I envision

do (vartype, ...) $$ ... $$ using value, ...

and for named parameters it'd be

do (varname vartype) $$ ... $$ using varname := value, ...

I won't make a difference for your use-case, but it'd make it easier to call the same DO block with different
parameters,like in the following shell  snippet.

COMMANDS="DO (arg int) $$ ... $$"
(for a in arg1, arg2, arg3, arg4; do echo "$COMMANDS USING $a;"
done) | psql

best regards,
Florian Pflug