Re: PostgreSQL / ODBC / Ms-SQL 2000

От Dave Page
Тема Re: PostgreSQL / ODBC / Ms-SQL 2000
Дата
Список pgsql-odbc

That will always require an unrestricted select from the PostgreSQL
table then - there's nothing you can do about that because QA will need
to join the PostgreSQL and SQL tables locally.

> > However, SQL Server still doesn't like doing this with psqlODBC,
> > as others on the net have found it also doesn't work with Oracle.
>
> So does that mean then it will never work in this 'native'
> mode with MS-SQL
> and Oracle?

From what I've read, no it doesn't work with the Oracle ODBC driver
(when using SERVER..schema.table syntax) - the advice I've seen is to
use the Oracle OLE-DB driver instead. You could of course try that with
PostgreSQL.

> >> Would it be strange to suggest that we use a 'dummy'
> catalog in the
> >> ODBC driver for MS-SQL?
>
> > That won't work because the driver would then report the servers
> capabilities
> > incorrectly to applications which may then generate invalid queries.
>
> But the driver could ignore the catalog and rewrite those
> commands, could't
> it?

PostgreSQL query syntax can be very complex. The driver only makes
limited attempts to parse queries in some circumstances. It certainly
doesn't have a complete enough parser to start rewriting identifiers,
nor is it ever likely to have.

Regards, Dave.