Re: GUI Interface

От Dave Page
Тема Re: GUI Interface
Дата
Список pgsql-general

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Caduto [mailto:tony_caduto@amsoftwaredesign.com]
Sent: Sat 5/13/2006 2:57 PM
To: Dave Page
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] GUI Interface

> It's not that derogatory Dave,
> All that page mentions is the weird quirks on win32, I am sure you know
> what those are, i.e. windows suddenly lose there size and position info
> and appear in the upper left corner of the screen in a semi minimized
> state, there are others.

I would hardly call those cross-platform quirks. More like unreported bugs. If you or anyone else can provide more
detailsI'm sure we can look at them.

> Fix the problems and I will remove the thing about the quirks.  The
> other stuff was mentioned by customers in the testimonials.

Maybe, but it's still on your site, adding to the impression that you are only comparing PGLA to pgAdmin.

How about Joshua's idea? Are you up for a creating a true and honest feature comparison between the two of us?

> And you do realize you started that whole flame fest yesterday because
> you had to chime in that 'but does it run on Linux', the guy I responded
> to had stated he was running on windows, now why would a windows user
> give one iota if a program runs on linux or not?

Iirc, you said something about managing PG installs on any platform even though the OP had said Windows. I think my
questionwas valid - and the answer that PGLA now does run under Wine is certainly a plus point for you. You also
mentionedother technologies that might allow a more native build (Lazarus was it?) - I have no idea whether or not
you'veexperimented with such things and have a linux build in the pipeline.

My only comment that was semi-intended as a flame was in response to a message of yours that I misunderstood, and for
whichI apologised publically as soon as I realised what I had done.

> Why don't  you just drop win32 support and leave the commercial market
> to us proprietary coders :-)  Seriously, there are now more than enough
> commercial admin tools available to support the PG windows market.

Given the lack of an IDE that I like better than VS on any of our other platforms, I can't see that happening :-)

> I would appreciate you not chiming in with 'does it run on linux?'
> If you agree to that I will make the changes on my site(testimonials)
> you desire.   I don't think the people that wrote those will be happy
> but oh well.

OK, I won't ask such questions in future - and for what it's worth, I don't object to you having testimonials from your
customers,just please make them less obviously biased against our product - I'm sure you've seen how other ads deal
withit, speaking of 'leading competitors' etc.

> oh, and I had PGLA working in basic form a week after Andreas's little
> comment to me, it's just been polished since then :-)

Which speaks well of your tools and your mastery of them. It's hard to say good for you without it sounding like I'm
takingthe p**s, but it is sincere! :-)

Regards, Dave.