Re: Search machine is ready

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Search machine is ready
Дата
Re: Search machine is ready  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-www

-----Original Message-----
From: Devrim GUNDUZ [mailto:devrim@commandprompt.com]
Sent: Wed 2/15/2006 12:50 PM
To: Dave Page
Cc: Joshua D. Drake; Tom Lane; pgsql-www@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Search machine is ready

> Dave, why don't you use the vendor packages? I believe Joshua will use
> Fedora Core, and I'd use vendor Apache, etc.

I was assuming Debian - I could have sworn he mentioned apt at some point.

wrt the vendor packages, I do try to use them whereever possible, with a couple of exceptions:

- PHP (and occasionally Apache) is often not built the way I want it - either being full of junk, or missing things. I
installedPHP5.1 from FreeBSD ports the other day though, and it does seem much more modular there now - dunno if the
sameapplies to FC/Debian et al these days.

- Vendor changes. I don't like to run packages I know to have been changed by the vendor - for example, it was noted
theother day that the Debian PostgreSQL packages contains patches that aren't in PGDG releases. In this case the only
OSvendor I would trust with a modified PostgreSQL is Red Hat, for fairly obvious reasons.

> As a part of WWW team and CMD, I'd be happy to coordinate the stuff,
> BTW.

Please feel free :-)

Regards,Dave.