Re: Does this look ethical to you?

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Does this look ethical to you?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

People don't usually complain about their inclusion - they tend to
complain about not being able to get rid of them. And most people that I
know well actually would rather they were there to save the hassle of
getting something else.

pgAdmin is easily removed, or may not be installed in the first place if
you prefer.

> I understand that it is done with pgAdmin as a
> convenience thing, but it has the side effect of hurting the
> 3rd party
> market.  A couple of years ago there was no 3rd party admin tools for
> Postgresql, pgAdmin was all that was available, but that has
> now changed
> and that change should be looked at.

What's that got to do with including a link in the pgAdmin installer
which is what you asked for?

> The fact of the matter is pgAdmin III is bundled in a manner
> that does
> not let the user know there are alternatives available plain
> and simple.
>
> Look at Mysql, they never had a bundled admin tool until
> recently and it
>   is the most popular psuedo open source
> DB on the market.

MySQL are irrelevant.

More relevant are the commercial databases that are comparable in
functionality to PostgreSQL, such as Oracle, DB2 and SQL Server. All of
which bundle admin tools, and none of which advertise third party tools
to my knowledge, or have ever been accused of unfair practices by doing
so.

As I said before, if you want to produce an OSS version of PGLA, then we
will happily consider including it in the installer.

We *will not* be advertising or bundling commercial products in
pgInstaller.

> People are always going to use pgAdmin because it is free, you will
> never have a problem getting users, but it should not be at
> the expense
> of the third party market.

Maybe you should contact Marc about advertising on postgresql.org, or
consider Google Ads. Either will get your far wider exposure on the
PostgreSQL website that is almost certainly visited by the vast majority
of PostgreSQL users.

> I am just raising a valid concern, no need for flames.

I don't flame, I blacklist.

Regards, Dave