Re: WAL on zfs Settings

От Laurent Asorne
Тема Re: WAL on zfs Settings
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
How do I get out of this list?

Avec mes meilleures salutations / Bescht Gréiss / Mit freundlichen Grüssen /  Kind regards

Laurent Asorne
Agence Immobilière Abby TOUSSAINT
32 81 73 41
laurent@confiance.lu
www.confiance.lu

> On 12 Feb 2019, at 17:39, Stephen Froehlich <s.froehlich@cablelabs.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Adam,
>
> Sorry this got sent to my Spam folder and I just happened to check it this morning.
>
> Start with this slide deck ... https://www.slideshare.net/SeanChittenden/postgresql-zfs-best-practices
>
> Sean advocates small block sizes and turning off all error checking in the database, but I don't expect you to
re-inityour database to make the latter happen.  For a typical database workload with lots of small writes, having
"recordsize=16K"for the zfs volume in question might be quite helpful.  For my application, I have found that it
doesn'thelp much, nor does it hurt other than it hinders compression some.

> The big helper you can do now is that you can safely set "full_page_writes = off" & "wal_compression = off" for the
WAL(usually about a 30-50% bump in write speed) as ZFS's copy-on-write scheme makes corruption impossible, and lz4 is
betterthan what Postgres uses internally.