Re: [HACKERS] GnuTLS support

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: [HACKERS] GnuTLS support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 01 Sep 2017, at 20:00, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks for working on this.  I think it's good for PostgreSQL to have
>>> more options in this area.
>>
>> +1.  We also have a patch in the queue to support macOS' TLS library,
>> and I suppose that's going to be facing similar issues.  It would be
>> a good plan, probably, to try to push both of these to conclusion in
>> the same development cycle.
>
> The thing which I think would save the most aggravation - at least for
> my employer - is a Windows SSL implementation.

In 53EA546E.6020404@vmware.com, an early version of SChannel support was posted
by Heikki.  If anyone is keen to pick up the effort that would most likely be a
good starting point.

> Relying on OpenSSL
> means that every time OpenSSL puts out a critical security fix, we've
> got to rewrap all the Windows installers to pick up the new version.
> If we were relying on what's built into Windows, it would be
> Microsoft's problem.  Granted, it's not anybody's job to solve
> EnterpriseDB's problems except EnterpriseDB, but users might like it
> too -- and anyone else who is building Windows installers for
> PostgreSQL.
>
> Depending on macOS TLS instead of OpenSSL has similar advantages, of
> course, just for a somewhat less common platform.

I think providing alternatives to OpenSSL on platforms where OpenSSL can’t be
relied on to be already available (Windows and macOS come to mind) would be a
great thing for many users and app developers.

cheers ./daniel