Re: libpq compression

От Florian Pflug
Тема Re: libpq compression
Дата
Re: libpq compression  ("ktm@rice.edu" <ktm@rice.edu>)
Re: libpq compression  (Euler Taveira <euler@timbira.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Jun25, 2012, at 21:21 , Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>> Or that it takes less code/generates cleaner code...
>
> So we're talking about some LZO things such as snappy from google, and
> that would be another run time dependency IIUC.
>
> I think it's time to talk about fastlz:
>
>  http://fastlz.org/
>  http://code.google.com/p/fastlz/source/browse/trunk/fastlz.c
>
>  551 lines of C code under MIT license, works also under windows
>
> I guess it would be easy (and safe) enough to embed in our tree should
> we decide going this way.

Agreed. If we extend the protocol to support compression, and not rely
on SSL, then let's pick one of these LZ77-style compressors, and let's
integrate it into our tree.

We should then also make it possible to enable compression only for
the server -> client direction. Since those types of compressions are
usually pretty easy to decompress, that reduces the amount to work
non-libpq clients have to put in to take advantage of compression.

best regards,
Florian Pflug