Difficulty installing postgresql on Max OSX Leopard.

От Don Fox
Тема Difficulty installing postgresql on Max OSX Leopard.
Дата
Список pgsql-novice

I'm working with an open source Electronic Medical Record  application 'GNUmed" which uses postgresql. I've had a difficult time installing version 8.4.1 from source code on my Mac.

The best set of instruction i've found is from http://zanshin.net/2009/09/07/installing-postgresql-on-mac-10-6-snow-leopard/,  however it did not quite do the trick. Going by the instructions there:

On starting the server:

 bash-3.2$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data/ -l server.log start

If I use this command to stop server I get:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsqsl/data/ -l server.log stop
pg_ctl: PID file "/usr/local/pgsqsl/data/postmaster.pid" does not exist
Is server running?

Creating the db:
    bash-3.2$ createdb testdb
    createdb: could not connect to database postgres: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

 The server.log entries:
       postgres cannot access the server configuration file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf": No such file or directory

The file does exist
       ls data
      PG_VERSION global pg_hba.conf pg_multixact pg_subtrans pg_twophase postgresql.conf
      base pg_clog pg_ident.conf pg_stat_tmp pg_tblspc pg_xlog postmaster.opts

Also, when attempting to unzip some src files, including the one I got from this site I get this:

tar -zxvf  postgresql-8.4.1.tar.gz
tar: Unrecognized archive format: Inappropriate file type or format
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

THis is very  strange to me!

The file I'm using came from source forge.

Any hints about this installation is greatly appreciated.

Don Fox

P.S. The app that will using postgresql is written in python.