Re: Table AM Interface Enhancements

От Mark Dilger
Тема Re: Table AM Interface Enhancements
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> On Nov 23, 2023, at 4:42 AM, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov@gmail.com> wrote:

> 0006-Generalize-table-AM-API-for-INSERT-.-ON-CONFLICT-v1.patch
>
> Provides a new table AM API method to encapsulate the whole INSERT ...
> ON CONFLICT ... algorithm rather than just implementation of
> speculative tokens.

I *think* I understand that you are taking the part of INSERT..ON CONFLICT that lives outside the table AM and pulling
itinside so that table AM authors are free to come up with whatever implementation is more suited for them.  The most
straightforwardway of doing so results in an EState parameter in the interface definition.  That seems not so good, as
theEState is a fairly complicated structure, and future changes in the executor might want to rearrange what EState
tracks,which would change which values tuple_insert_with_arbiter() can depend on.  Should the patch at least document
whichparts of the EState are expected to be in which states, and which parts should be viewed as undefined?  If the
implementorsof table AMs rely on any/all aspects of EState, doesn't that prevent future changes to how that structure
isused?

> 0008-Let-table-AM-insertion-methods-control-index-inse-v1.patch
>
> Allows table AM to skip index insertions in the executor and handle
> those insertions itself.

The new parameter could use more documentation.

> 0009-Custom-reloptions-for-table-AM-v1.patch
>
> Enables table AMs to define and override reloptions for tables and indexes.

This could use some regression tests to exercise the custom reloptions.

—
Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company