pgsql: Fix timing-dependent failure in GSSAPI data transmission.

От Tom Lane
Тема pgsql: Fix timing-dependent failure in GSSAPI data transmission.
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
Fix timing-dependent failure in GSSAPI data transmission.

When using GSSAPI encryption in non-blocking mode, libpq sometimes
failed with "GSSAPI caller failed to retransmit all data needing
to be retried".  The cause is that pqPutMsgEnd rounds its transmit
request down to an even multiple of 8K, and sometimes that can lead
to not requesting a write of data that was requested to be written
(but reported as not written) earlier.  That can upset pg_GSS_write's
logic for dealing with not-yet-written data, since it's possible
the data in question had already been incorporated into an encrypted
packet that we weren't able to send during the previous call.

We could fix this with a one-or-two-line hack to disable pqPutMsgEnd's
round-down behavior, but that seems like making the caller work around
a behavior that pg_GSS_write shouldn't expose in this way.  Instead,
adjust pg_GSS_write to never report a partial write: it either
reports a complete write, or reflects the failure of the lower-level
pqsecure_raw_write call.  The requirement still exists for the caller
to present at least as much data as on the previous call, but with
the caller-visible write start point not moving there is no temptation
for it to present less.  We lose some ability to reclaim buffer space
early, but I doubt that that will make much difference in practice.

This also gets rid of a rather dubious assumption that "any
interesting failure condition (from pqsecure_raw_write) will recur
on the next try".  We've not seen failure reports traceable to that,
but I've never trusted it particularly and am glad to remove it.

Make the same adjustments to the equivalent backend routine
be_gssapi_write().  It is probable that there's no bug on the backend
side, since we don't have a notion of nonblock mode there; but we
should keep the logic the same to ease future maintenance.

Per bug #18210 from Lars Kanis.  Back-patch to all supported branches.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/18210-4c6d0b14627f2eb8@postgresql.org

Branch
------
REL_12_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/18fad508b783654e516898d2246a8ac3c98e47e0

Modified Files
src/backend/libpq/be-secure-gssapi.c    | 60 +++++++++++++++----------------
src/interfaces/libpq/fe-secure-gssapi.c | 62 +++++++++++++++------------------
src/interfaces/libpq/libpq-int.h        |  4 +--