pgsql: Make pg_ctl stop/restart/promote recheck postmaster aliveness.

От Tom Lane
Тема pgsql: Make pg_ctl stop/restart/promote recheck postmaster aliveness.
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
Make pg_ctl stop/restart/promote recheck postmaster aliveness.

"pg_ctl stop/restart" checked that the postmaster PID is valid just
once, as a side-effect of sending the stop signal, and then would
wait-till-timeout for the postmaster.pid file to go away.  This
neglects the case wherein the postmaster dies uncleanly after we
signal it.  Similarly, once "pg_ctl promote" has sent the signal,
it'd wait for the corresponding on-disk state change to occur
even if the postmaster dies.

I'm not sure how we've managed not to notice this problem, but it
seems to explain slow execution of the 017_shm.pl test script on AIX
since commit 4fdbf9af5, which added a speculative "pg_ctl stop" with
the idea of making real sure that the postmaster isn't there.  In the
test steps that kill-9 and then restart the postmaster, it's possible
to get past the initial signal attempt before kill() stops working
for the doomed postmaster.  If that happens, pg_ctl waited till
PGCTLTIMEOUT before giving up ... and the buildfarm's AIX members
have that set very high.

To fix, include a "kill(pid, 0)" test (similar to what
postmaster_is_alive uses) in these wait loops, so that we'll
give up immediately if the postmaster PID disappears.

While here, I chose to refactor those loops out of where they were.
do_stop() and do_restart() can perfectly well share one copy of the
wait-for-stop loop, and it seems desirable to put a similar function
beside that for wait-for-promote.

Back-patch to all supported versions, since pg_ctl's wait logic
is substantially identical in all, and we're seeing the slow test
behavior in all branches.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20220210023537.GA3222837@rfd.leadboat.com

Branch
------
REL_10_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/34523933b8dc118da0693d55a3b01e9d02be0949

Modified Files

Сообщение: Re: pgsql: TAP tests: check for postmaster.pid anyway when "pg_ctl start" f
Сообщение: Re: pgsql: TAP tests: check for postmaster.pid anyway when "pg_ctl start" f