pgsql: Restore robustness of TAP tests that wait for postmaster restart

От Tom Lane
Тема pgsql: Restore robustness of TAP tests that wait for postmaster restart
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
Restore robustness of TAP tests that wait for postmaster restart.

Several TAP tests use poll_query_until() to wait for the postmaster
to restart.  They were checking to see if a trivial query
(e.g. "SELECT 1") succeeds.  However, that's problematic in the wake
of commit 11e9caff8, because now that we feed said query to psql
via stdin, we risk IPC::Run whining about a SIGPIPE failure if psql
quits before reading the query.  Hence, we can't use a nonempty
query in cases where we need to wait for connection failures to
stop happening.

Per the precedent of commits c757a3da0 and 6d41dd045, we can pass
"undef" as the query in such cases to ensure that IPC::Run has
nothing to write.  However, then we have to say that the expected
output is empty, and this exposes a deficiency in poll_query_until:
if psql fails altogether and returns empty stdout, poll_query_until
will treat that as a success!  That's because, contrary to its
documentation, it makes no actual check for psql failure, looking
neither at the exit status nor at stderr.

To fix that, adjust poll_query_until to insist on empty stderr as
well as a stdout match.  (I experimented with checking exit status
instead, but it seems that psql often does exit(1) in cases that we
need to consider successes.  That might be something to fix someday,
but it would be a non-back-patchable behavior change.)

Back-patch to v10.  The test cases needing this exist only as far
back as v11, but it seems wise to keep poll_query_until's behavior
the same in v10, in case we back-patch another such test case in
future.  (9.6 does not currently need this change, because in that
branch poll_query_until can't be told to accept empty stdout as
a success case.)

Per assorted buildfarm failures, mostly on hoverfly.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAA4eK1+zM6L4QSA1XMvXY_qqWwdUmqkOS1+hWvL8QcYEBGA1Uw@mail.gmail.com

Branch
------
REL_13_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/94e21021cdf25e50e28be3e4f3147ed56796433a

Modified Files
src/test/perl/PostgresNode.pm            |  6 +++---
src/test/recovery/t/013_crash_restart.pl | 10 +++-------