pgsql: Reduce the range of OIDs reserved for genbki.pl.

От Tom Lane
Тема pgsql: Reduce the range of OIDs reserved for genbki.pl.
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
Reduce the range of OIDs reserved for genbki.pl.

Commit ab596105b increased FirstBootstrapObjectId from 12000 to 13000,
but we've had some push-back about that.  It's worrisome to reduce the
daylight between there and FirstNormalObjectId, because the number of
OIDs consumed during initdb for collation objects is hard to predict.

We can improve the situation by abandoning the assumption that these
OIDs must be globally unique.  It should be sufficient for them to be
unique per-catalog.  (Any code that's unhappy about that is broken
anyway, since no more than per-catalog uniqueness can be guaranteed
once the OID counter wraps around.)  With that change, the largest OID
assigned during genbki.pl (starting from a base of 10000) is a bit
under 11000.  This allows reverting FirstBootstrapObjectId to 12000
with reasonable confidence that that will be sufficient for many years
to come.

We are not, at this time, abandoning the expectation that
hand-assigned OIDs (below 10000) are globally unique.  Someday that'll
likely be necessary, but the need seems years away still.

This is late for v14, but it seems worth doing it now so that
downstream software doesn't have to deal with the consequences of
a change in FirstBootstrapObjectId.  In any case, we already
bought into forcing an initdb for beta2, so another catversion
bump won't hurt.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/1665197.1622065382@sss.pgh.pa.us

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a4390abecf0f5152cff864e82b67e5f6c8489698

Modified Files
doc/src/sgml/bki.sgml            |  4 ++--
src/backend/catalog/genbki.pl    | 33 ++++++++++++++++++++++++---------
src/include/access/transam.h     | 14 ++++++++------
src/include/catalog/catversion.h |  2 +-