pgsql: Marginal performance hacking in erand48.c.

От Tom Lane
Тема pgsql: Marginal performance hacking in erand48.c.
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
Marginal performance hacking in erand48.c.

Get rid of the multiplier and addend variables in favor of hard-wired
constants.  Do the multiply-and-add using uint64 arithmetic, rather
than manually combining several narrower multiplications and additions.
Make _dorand48 return the full-width new random value, and have its
callers use that directly (after suitable masking) rather than
reconstructing what they need from the unsigned short[] representation.

On my machine, this is good for a nearly factor-of-2 speedup of
pg_erand48(), probably mostly from needing just one call of ldexp()
rather than three.  The wins for the other functions are smaller
but measurable.  While none of the existing call sites are really
performance-critical, a cycle saved is a cycle earned; and besides
the machine code is smaller this way (at least on x86_64).

Patch by me, but the original idea to optimize this by switching
to int64 arithmetic is from Fabien Coelho.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/1551.1546018192@sss.pgh.pa.us

Branch
------
master