pgsql: Client-side fixes for delayed NOTIFY receipt.

От Tom Lane
Тема pgsql: Client-side fixes for delayed NOTIFY receipt.
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
Client-side fixes for delayed NOTIFY receipt.

PQnotifies() is defined to just process already-read data, not try to read
any more from the socket.  (This is a debatable decision, perhaps, but I'm
hesitant to change longstanding library behavior.)  The documentation has
long recommended calling PQconsumeInput() before PQnotifies() to ensure
that any already-arrived message would get absorbed and processed.
However, psql did not get that memo, which explains why it's not very
reliable about reporting notifications promptly.

Also, most (not quite all) callers called PQconsumeInput() just once before
a PQnotifies() loop.  Taking this recommendation seriously implies that we
should do PQconsumeInput() before each call.  This is more important now
that we have "payload" strings in notification messages than it was before;
that increases the probability of having more than one packet's worth
of notify messages.  Hence, adjust code as well as documentation examples
to do it like that.

Back-patch to 9.5 to match related server fixes.  In principle we could
probably go back further with these changes, but given lack of field
complaints I doubt it's worthwhile.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAOYf6ec-TmRYjKBXLLaGaB-jrd=mjG1Hzn1a1wufUAR39PQYhw@mail.gmail.com

Branch
------
REL9_6_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/34aad21cbf03fd0d49e7322efdd18c9bf692f53d

Modified Files
doc/src/sgml/libpq.sgml               | 3 ++-
src/bin/psql/common.c                 | 4 +++-
src/interfaces/ecpg/ecpglib/execute.c | 5 +++--
src/interfaces/libpq/fe-exec.c        | 3 +++
src/test/examples/testlibpq2.c        | 1 +