pgsql: Expand hash indexes more gradually.

От Robert Haas
Тема pgsql: Expand hash indexes more gradually.
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
Expand hash indexes more gradually.

Since hash indexes typically have very few overflow pages, adding a
new splitpoint essentially doubles the on-disk size of the index,
which can lead to large and abrupt increases in disk usage (and
perhaps long delays on occasion).  To mitigate this problem to some
degree, divide larger splitpoints into four equal phases.  This means
that, for example, instead of growing from 4GB to 8GB all at once, a
hash index will now grow from 4GB to 5GB to 6GB to 7GB to 8GB, which
is perhaps still not as smooth as we'd like but certainly an
improvement.

This changes the on-disk format of the metapage, so bump HASH_VERSION
from 2 to 3.  This will force a REINDEX of all existing hash indexes,
but that's probably a good idea anyway.  First, hash indexes from
pre-10 versions of PostgreSQL could easily be corrupted, and we don't
want to confuse corruption carried over from an older release with any
corruption caused despite the new write-ahead logging in v10.  Second,
it will let us remove some backward-compatibility code added by commit
293e24e507838733aba4748b514536af2d39d7f2.

Mithun Cy, reviewed by Amit Kapila, Jesper Pedersen and me.  Regression
test outputs updated by me.

Discussion: http://postgr.es/m/CAD__OuhG6F1gQLCgMQNnMNgoCvOLQZz9zKYJQNYvYmmJoM42gA@mail.gmail.com
Discussion: http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmoYty0jCf-pa+m+vYUJ716+AxM7nv_syvyanyf5O-L_i2A@mail.gmail.com

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ea69a0dead5128c421140dc53fac165ba4af8520

Modified Files
--------------
contrib/pageinspect/expected/hash.out        |  4 +-
contrib/pgstattuple/expected/pgstattuple.out |  4 +-
doc/src/sgml/pageinspect.sgml                |  6 +--
src/backend/access/hash/README               | 62 ++++++++++++++++----------
src/backend/access/hash/hashovfl.c           |  9 ++--
src/backend/access/hash/hashpage.c           | 62 +++++++++++++-------------
src/backend/access/hash/hashsort.c           | 27 +++++++++---
src/backend/access/hash/hashutil.c           | 65 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
src/backend/utils/sort/tuplesort.c           | 37 +++++++++++-----
src/include/access/hash.h                    | 24 ++++++++--
src/include/utils/tuplesort.h                |  4 +-