pgsql: Fix nasty performance problem in tsquery_rewrite().

От Tom Lane
Тема pgsql: Fix nasty performance problem in tsquery_rewrite().
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
Fix nasty performance problem in tsquery_rewrite().

tsquery_rewrite() tries to find matches to subsets of AND/OR conditions;
for example, in the query 'a | b | c' the substitution subquery 'a | c'
should match and lead to replacement of the first and third items.
That's fine, but the matching algorithm apparently takes about O(2^N)
for an N-clause query (I say "apparently" because the code is also both
unintelligible and uncommented).  We could probably do better than that
even without any extra assumptions --- but actually, we know that the
subclauses are sorted, indeed are depending on that elsewhere in this very
same function.  So we can just scan the two lists a single time to detect
matches, as though we were doing a merge join.

Also do a re-flattening call (QTNTernary()) in tsquery_rewrite_query, just
to make sure that the tree fits the expectations of the next search cycle.
I didn't try to devise a test case for this, but I'm pretty sure that the
oversight could have led to failure to match in some cases where a match
would be expected.

Improve comments, and also stick a CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS into
dofindsubquery, just in case it's still too slow for somebody.

Per report from Andreas Seltenreich.  Back-patch to all supported branches.

Discussion: <8760oasf2y.fsf@credativ.de>

Branch
------
REL9_5_STABLE