pgsql: Documentation improvement and minor code cleanups for the latch

От Tom Lane
Тема pgsql: Documentation improvement and minor code cleanups for the latch
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
Documentation improvement and minor code cleanups for the latch facility.

Improve the documentation around weak-memory-ordering risks, and do a pass
of general editorialization on the comments in the latch code.  Make the
Windows latch code more like the Unix latch code where feasible; in
particular provide the same Assert checks in both implementations.
Fix poorly-placed WaitLatch call in syncrep.c.

This patch resolves, for the moment, concerns around weak-memory-ordering
bugs in latch-related code: we have documented the restrictions and checked
that existing calls meet them.  In 9.2 I hope that we will install suitable
memory barrier instructions in SetLatch/ResetLatch, so that their callers
don't need to be quite so careful.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4e15a4db5e65e43271f8d20750d6500ab12632d0

Modified Files
src/backend/port/unix_latch.c     |  166 ++++++++++++++++++-------------------
src/backend/port/win32_latch.c    |   49 ++++++------
src/backend/replication/syncrep.c |   20 +++--
src/backend/storage/lmgr/proc.c   |    2 +-
src/include/storage/latch.h       |   70 +++++++++++++++-