Re: High CPU Utilization

От Ron
Тема Re: High CPU Utilization
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
At 02:47 PM 3/24/2009, Joe Uhl wrote:

>Turns out we may have an opportunity to purchase a new database
>server with this increased load.  Seems that the best route, based
>on feedback to this thread, is to go whitebox, get quad opterons,
>and get a very good disk controller.
>
>Can anyone recommend a whitebox vendor?
I'll 2nd the Aberdeen recommendation.  I'll add Pogolinux to that list as well.

>Is there a current controller anyone on this list has experience
>with that they could recommend?
The 2 best performing RAID controller vendors at this time are AMCC
(AKA 3Ware) and Areca.
In general, the 8+ port Areca's with their BB cache maxed outperform
every other controller available.

>This will be a bigger purchase so will be doing research and
>benchmarking but any general pointers to a vendor/controller greatly
>appreciated.

Be =very= careful to thoroughly bench both the AMD and Intel CPU
options.  It is far from clear which is the better purchase.

I'd be very interested to see the results of your research and
benchmarks posted here on pgsql-performance.

Ron Peacetree

От: Bryan Murphy
Сообщение: Re: Help Me Understand Why I'm Getting a Bad Query Plan
От: Scott Marlowe
Сообщение: Re: High CPU Utilization