Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations

От Ron
Тема Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
This definitely is the correct approach.

Actually, Daniel van Ham Colchete may not be as "all wet" as some
around here think.  We've had previous data that shows that pg can
become CPU bound (see previous posts by Josh Berkus and others
regarding CPU overhead in what should be IO bound tasks).

In addition, we know that x86 compatible 64b implementations differ
enough between AMD and Intel products that it sometimes shows on benches.

Evidence outside the DBMS arena supports the hypothesis that recent
CPUs are needing more hand-holding and product specific compiling,
not less, compared to their previous versions.

Side Note: I wonder what if anything pg could gain from using SWAR
instructions (SSE*, MMX, etc)?

I'd say the fairest attitude is to do everything we can to support
having the proper experiments done w/o presuming the results.

Ron Peacetree