Re: "stored procedures" - use cases?

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: "stored procedures" - use cases?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Apr 26, 2011, at 6:08 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> -- doing a backfill operation for 10GB of computed data, taking 8
>> hours, where I don't want to hold a transaction open for 8 hours
>> since this is a high-volume OLTP database.
>
> Been there, done that.  Definitely not a rare use case.

We do that so often we've actually written a framework around it and are working on a daemon that will deal with any
backfillsthat have been registered in the system. If we could control transactions that daemon could be entirely in the
database...but since we can't, we have to write it in another language outside the database and switch back and forth
betweenthe two worlds.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net