Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL

От Richard Welty
Тема Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL
Дата
Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL  (nolan@celery.tssi.com)
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:23:30 +0100 Paul Thomas <paul@tmsl.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On 14/07/2003 23:16 Terence Chang wrote:
> > [snip]
> > I have the following questions. Please reply me offline, so the
> mailling
> > list won't get flood. Thanks!
> > 1. What is your favorite GUI tool for PostgreSQL?

> Most of th time, I find psql to be perfectly adequate for the job. If I
> need to look at long and/or wide result sets I'll use pgaccess.

psql mostly. i've played with dbvisualizer, found it useful, then found
that for one particular combination of versions (postgresql & dbvis) it
wouldn't show me all tables. i have used Access/ODBC occasionally, but i
try no to use M$ products where i can avoid it. pgmanager looks promising,
but i've only been playing with it for a day or two.

> > 2. In your organization, do you have someone who works as full time
> > PostgreSQL DBA?

> Me organised? Being an independent software developer, I tend to wear
> all
> the hats.

ditto.

> > 3. What is the biggest challenge you have with PostgreSQL?
> Administration
> > or
> > Programming?

> All fairly straight forward IME.

i'd have to say learning the performance stuff. i have just started
reading the performance list and have found it most instructive.
i've learned a lot there in a few short days that isn't in any of the
PostgreSQL books that i have. i would think that a really hardcore
PostgreSQL DBA book along the lines of Loney's Oracle DBA handbooks would
be most useful.

> > 4. Overall, do you like PostgreSQL? Would you recommend it over MySQL?

> 100% of the time.

agreed. MySQL is satisfactory for a narrow set of uses, but has some
significant limitations. and what with the LGPL-GPL licensing change for
MySQL 4.1.x, i am tending to recommend that my clients running MySQL
consider their transistion strategies to some other product.

> > 5. How often do your PostgreSQL run into problem or crash? Are most of
> > the
> > problem caused by PostgreSQL itself?

> I've never had a problem

none here, either. it just works.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net

Сообщение: Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL
Сообщение: Re: Are you frustrated with PostgreSQL