Re: - what protocol for an Internet postgres

От Richard Welty
Тема Re: - what protocol for an Internet postgres
Дата
Re: - what protocol for an Internet postgres  ("Matthew Nuzum" <cobalt@bearfruit.org>)
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 14 May 2003 11:54:49 -0500 Fernando Flores Prior <fprior@tlaloc.imta.mx> wrote:
> Now I have a better vision of what can be accomplished with the
> options that you gave me.

> At 12:37 p.m. 14/05/2003 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >However, from a security standpoint I don't think there's any question
> >that you want to use SSL encryption for any database connection that
> >passes over the open Internet.  I seem to recall that the ODBC driver
> >(still) doesn't support SSL --- if so, that would be reason enough not
> >to use it.  Or to invest the effort to fix it.

i just caught the end of this.

if for some reason you need to use a driver that doesn't support SSL (say,
the aforementioned ODBC driver) there may be tunneling options that can be
made to work, using tools such as ssh, stunnel, or IPSec.

those are really more network engineering/sysadmin things than postgresql
things, and the appropriate method will vary depending on circumstances.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net