Control flow in logical replication walsender

От Christophe Pettus
Тема Control flow in logical replication walsender
Дата
Re: Control flow in logical replication walsender  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I wanted to check my understanding of how control flows in a walsender doing logical replication.  My understanding is
thatthe (single) thread in each walsender process, in the simplest case, loops on:

1. Pull a record out of the WAL.
2. Pass it to the recorder buffer code, which,
3. Sorts it out into the appropriate in-memory structure for that transaction (spilling to disk as required), and then
continueswith #1, or,
4. If it's a commit record, it iteratively passes the transaction data one change at a time to,
5. The logical decoding plugin, which returns the output format of that plugin, and then,
6. The walsender sends the output from the plugin to the client. It cycles on passing the data to the plugin and
sendingit to the client until it runs out of changes in that transaction, and then resumes reading the WAL in #1.

In particular, I wanted to confirm that while it is pulling the reordered transaction and sending it to the plugin (and
thenceto the client), that particular walsender is *not* reading new WAL records or putting them in the reorder buffer.

The specific issue I'm trying to track down is an enormous pileup of spill files.  This is in a non-supported version
ofPostgreSQL (v11), so an upgrade may fix it, but at the moment, I'm trying to find a cause and a mitigation.

Сообщение: Re: pg17 issues with not-null contraints
Сообщение: Re: pg17 issues with not-null contraints