Re: Bug?

От Andrew G. Hammond
Тема Re: Bug?
Дата
Re: Bug?  (Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com>)
Список pgsql-general

On 2001 November 15 10:24 am, Doug McNaught wrote:
> Rasmus Resen Amossen <NOSPAM@hey.com> writes:
> > CREATE TABLE test (
> >   id SERIAL NOT NULL,
> >   val INT
> > );
> >
> > The the following insertions creates an error:
> > INSERT INTO test(id,val) VALUES (1,1);
> > INSERT INTO test(val) VALUES (1);
> >
> > Error:
> > Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index test_id_key
> >
> > After that I can just reåeat the second line and insert without errors.
> > Is this bug fixed in newer versions?
>
> Not a bug.  The second insert of the two above increments the SERIAL
> sequence for 'id', and the incremented value is the same as the one
> you explicitly inserted earlier.  Since SERIAL columns have a unique
> index on them, the insert fails.
>
> When you repeat the second insert, the sequence is incremented again,
> and this time it doesn't collide.

Now maybe THAT behaviour should be a bug.  Since the nextval() is implicit in
the second INSERT, and the second INSERT fails, it would make sense to roll
back the nextval().

Except of course that it appears that sequences are not within the scope of
transactions:

test=# SELECT nextval('test_id_seq');
 nextval
- ---------
       3
(1 row)

test=# BEGIN; SELECT nextval('test_id_seq'); ROLLBACK;
BEGIN
 nextval
- ---------
       4
(1 row)

ROLLBACK
test=# SELECT nextval('test_id_seq');
 nextval
- ---------
       5
(1 row)

Is this correct behaviour?  ACID compliant?  The argument in it's favour it
pretty obvious: if you never go backwards then you'll never get an accidental
duplication as follows:

t1 BEGIN; SELECT nextval('test_id_seq')    # 1
t2 SELECT nextval('test_id_seq')        # 2
t1 ROLLBACK                 # test_id_seq decremented
t3 SELECT nextval('test_id_seq')        # 2

However wouldn't locking the sequence be more proper behaviour?

- --
Andrew G. Hammond     mailto:drew@xyzzy.dhs.org   http://xyzzy.dhs.org/~drew/
56 2A 54 EF 19 C0 3B 43 72 69 5B E3 69 5B A1 1F                  613-389-5481
5CD3 62B0 254B DEB1 86E0  8959 093E F70A B457 84B1
"To blow recursion you must first blow recur" -- me