Re: Modifying TOAST thresholds

От Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD
Тема Re: Modifying TOAST thresholds
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > ... should we revel
> > in configurability, and allow CREATE TABLE/ALTER TABLE behavior to
> > vary depending on the current threshold setting?  We'd have to fix
the
> > toaster routines to not try to push stuff out-of-line when there is
no
> > out-of-line to push to ... but I think we probably had better do
that
> > anyway for robustness, if we're allowing any variability at all in
> > these numbers.
>
> Actually, upon looking closely at the toast code, it already
> does the right thing when there's no toast table.  Good on
> someone for getting that right.  But we still need to think
> about whether it's sane for CREATE/ALTER TABLE to condition
> the create-a-toast-table decision on a parameter that may now
> be changeable.

I think it is ok to decide during creation with current settings.
When a user wants a toast table that has not been created we can direct
them to use some dummy "alter table ... set storage ..." and create a
toast
table if it does not exist (and the new settings opt for one).

And a new threshold has immediate consequences for inline compression,
so a change is not ignored.

Andreas