Re: Shared pg_xlog directory/partition and warm standby

От Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD
Тема Re: Shared pg_xlog directory/partition and warm standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I suppose we might want to have multiple archivals occurring
> simultaneously by overlapping their start and stop times.
> That might be useful for situations where we have a bank of slow
response tape
> drives/autoloaders?

I have never seen such a setup, where it would have helped to archive
DB logs in parallel. The 16 Mb are not enough to get tapes going.
So in setups where you have lots of WAL, I would increase
XLOG_SEG_SIZE. In my experience it is less a db performance issue, than
an administrative and storage system overhead issue (to start a backup
session every few seconds or even subsecond).
e.g. Backup systems like TSM perform better when you don't have so many
tiny files,
all saved separately.

> Anybody else see the need for this?

No :-)