Re: Why shared_buffers max is 8GB?

От: Markella Skempri
Тема: Re: Why shared_buffers max is 8GB?
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Why shared_buffers max is 8GB?  (Alexey Vasiliev, )
 Re: Why shared_buffers max is 8GB?  (Ilya Kosmodemiansky, )
  Re: Why shared_buffers max is 8GB?  (desmodemone, )
   Re: Why shared_buffers max is 8GB?  (Albe Laurenz, )
    Re: Why shared_buffers max is 8GB?  (desmodemone, )
   Re: Why shared_buffers max is 8GB?  (Markella Skempri, )
    Re: Why shared_buffers max is 8GB?  (Martin French, )
     Re: Why shared_buffers max is 8GB?  (Markella Skempri, )
      Re: Why shared_buffers max is 8GB?  (Martin French, )
    Re: Why shared_buffers max is 8GB?  (Scott Marlowe, )
     Re: Why shared_buffers max is 8GB?  (Shaun Thomas, )
      Re: Why shared_buffers max is 8GB?  (Ilya Kosmodemiansky, )
   Re: Why shared_buffers max is 8GB?  (Martin French, )
 Re: Why shared_buffers max is 8GB?  (Alexey Klyukin, )
  Re: Why shared_buffers max is 8GB?  (Bruce Momjian, )

I wanted to follow up from this question. I’m running on 9.3.4
My DB server has 32GB ram so I have assigned 8GB shared_buffer_memory. It is quite a big db but with not much traffic. When there is traffic, it’s usually big.

Lately, the kernel has been killing the postmaster for having assigned too much shared memory. Latest crash was when loading a 500MB file.

Should I reduce the shared buffers in order for this to be more robust?

Thanks
Markella