Help needed with DBI and DBD::Pg

От Sam Juvonen
Тема Help needed with DBI and DBD::Pg
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello there,

I am a new Linux user, Red Hat 6.1 trying to get up and running with
Postgresql
from the default Linux install.  I'm trying to get the DBI interface so I
can access
this database with Perl.

I've successfully installed the DBI module via make, make test, make
install.  Also, psql runs fine; I've created and populated a table or two.

I have a rather basic question when it comes to installing the DBD::Pg
module.  The 'perl Makefile.PL' procedure requires that I set environment
variables for POSTGRES_LIB and POSTGRES_INCLUDE.  I can't get this
accomplished correctly, so I can't complete the makefile.

Since Postgresql installed automatically, the directory isn't what the
documentation references, namely /usr/local/pgsql.  I'm finding things are
in /var/lib/pgsql, /usr/lib/pgsql and /usr/include/pgsql.  I don't know if
these directories contain what is necessary for the DBD::Pg makefile...

So, since I'm using bash, logged in as the 'postgres' user.  I've tried
setting the environment variables like this:
POSTGRES_INCLUDE=/usr/include/pgsql
export POSTGRES_INCLUDE
POSTGRES_LIB=/usr/lib/pgsql
export POSTGRES_INCLUDE

Running 'perl Makefile.PL' simply tells me to set the environment variables,
so these values aren't being seen.

Can someone tell me how I can complete this installation of DBD::Pg?

Thanks in advance,

Sam Juvonen
sjuvonen@bignet.net