RE: Calculating how much redo log space has been used

От Reza Taheri
Тема RE: Calculating how much redo log space has been used
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

Hi Andres,
Good to know about wal_compression. It gives us a good reason to upgrade to 9.5 to get that feature.

The need for a 6-minute checkpoint came from this requirement in the benchmark specification:

the database contents (excluding the transaction log) stored on Durable Media cannot be more than 12 minutes older than
anyCommitted state of the database.
Comment: This may mean that Database Management Systems implementing traditional checkpoint algorithms may need to
performcheckpoints twice as frequently (i.e. every 6 minutes) in order to guarantee that the 12-minute requirement is
met.

But in any case, I now realize that I was going into the weeds, looking at the wrong thing. My original issue was
figuringout how quickly we churn through checkpoint segment files, and had been looking at the checkpoint stats in
pgstatspackto figure that out. But that's the wrong place to look. I don't think there is anything in the pgstatspack
outputthat can give me that information. I can tell by looking at the timestamps of the checkpoint segment files, but I
washoping to find something that gets logged in pg_log/postgresql-*log and tells me when we switch to a new log

Thanks,
Reza