Re: The best book

От Robert J. Sanford, Jr.
Тема Re: The best book
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Note - millions of cross-posts deleted...

I have read the Momjian book and am now working with the O'Reilly book. I
have not gotten far enough into the O'Reilly book to give an accurate
representation of what I think it contains but going by the TOC I am
planning on enjoying it.

I see the Momjian book is a very good book for the intended audience (I
think it is targeted at users that are new to both Postgres and SQL). I was
(still am) familiar with SQL but nowhere close to being a master of it (see
Celko for mastering SQL) and found the description of how Postgres
implemented certain features of the language to be useful. I also found the
book to be very helpful for getting a database up and running along with the
basic user administration and security.

However, the reason I went out and got the O'Reilly book was what I
perceived as a lack of depth in terms of administration and security. The
basic coverage is there but not a lot of depth. I'm hopeful the O'Reilly
book will have that for me.

The Momjian book also appears to be a significant compilation of the
electronic docs that are available for download. If you are like me and
prefer dead trees to reading a book on a CRT then it is most definitely
worth it for that reason alone.

I think that the techdocs section of the website should provide you with a
lot of material that will, at worst, give you the background to ask good
questions.

rjsjr