Re: Extensions, this time with a patch

От David E. Wheeler
Тема Re: Extensions, this time with a patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Oct 21, 2010, at 8:12 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:

> That's a good idea, but my guess is that the implementation cost of
> supporting the control format in your perl infrastructure is at least an
> order of magnitude lower than the cost for me to support your current
> JSON file format, so I lean towards you having an automated way to fill
> in the json file from the control one...

Well, it *will* be easier. Eventually. Right now, the file has to be edited by hand. Which I can tell you from
experienceis rather…error-prone.

Anyway, I wouldn't push for a JSON file format until a parser was just there for you to use without too much trouble.

> The Makefile supports $(VERSION) because chances are it's already there
> (think packaging or tarball release targets). Having yet another place
> where to manually maintain a version number ain't appealing.

Be aware that PGXS sets a $(VERSION) variable already, so you'll need to use another name, I think, to guard from
conflicts.This is in Makefile.global:

VERSION = 9.0.1
MAJORVERSION = 9.0

Maybe use EXTVERSION? You don't want to overwrite the core version because a makefile author could use it to change the
build(pgTAP does this, for example).

> In the latest patch, though, the only other thing you find in the
> Makefile about the extension is its basename, which must be the one of
> both the .control and the .sql files. And it's possible for $(EXTENSION)
> to be a list of them, too, because of contrib/spi.

Right, that makes sense.

Best,

David