Re: SCSI vs SATA

От jason@ohloh.net
Тема Re: SCSI vs SATA
Дата
Re: SCSI vs SATA
Список pgsql-performance
On Apr 3, 2007, at 6:54 PM, Geoff Tolley wrote:

> I don't think the density difference will be quite as high as you
> seem to think: most 320GB SATA drives are going to be 3-4 platters,
> the most that a 73GB SCSI is going to have is 2, and more likely 1,
> which would make the SCSIs more like 50% the density of the SATAs.
> Note that this only really makes a difference to theoretical
> sequential speeds; if the seeks are random the SCSI drives could
> easily get there 50% faster (lower rotational latency and they
> certainly will have better actuators for the heads). Individual 15K
> SCSIs will trounce 7.2K SATAs in terms of i/os per second.

Good point. On another note, I am wondering why nobody's brought up
the command-queuing perf benefits (yet). Is this because sata vs scsi
are at par here? I'm finding conflicting information on this -- some
calling sata's ncq mostly crap, others stating the real-world results
are negligible. I'm inclined to believe SCSI's pretty far ahead here
but am having trouble finding recent articles on this.

> What I always do when examining hard drive options is to see if
> they've been tested (or a similar model has) at http://
> www.storagereview.com/ - they have a great database there with lots
> of low-level information (although it seems to be down at the time
> of writing).

Still down! They might want to get better drives... j/k.

> But what's likely to make the largest difference in the OP's case
> (many inserts) is write caching, and a battery-backed cache would
> be needed for this. This will help mask write latency differences
> between the two options, and so benefit SATA more. Some 3ware cards
> offer it, some don't, so check the model.

The servers are hooked up to a reliable UPS. The battery-backed cache
won't hurt but might be overkill (?).

> How the drives are arranged is going to be important too - one big
> RAID 10 is going to be rather worse than having arrays dedicated to
> each of pg_xlog, indices and tables, and on that front the SATA
> option is going to grant more flexibility.

I've read some recent contrary advice. Specifically advising the
sharing of all files (pg_xlogs, indices, etc..) on a huge raid array
and letting the drives load balance by brute force. I know the
postgresql documentation claims up to 13% more perf for moving the
pg_xlog to its own device(s) -- but by sharing everything on a huge
array you lose a small amount of perf (when compared to the
theoretically optimal solution) - vs being significantly off optimal
perf if you partition your tables/files wrongly. I'm willing to do
reasonable benchmarking but time is money -- and reconfiguring huge
arrays in multiple configurations to get possibly get incremental
perf might not be as cost efficient as just spending more on hardware.

Thanks for all the tips.