Re: [rfc] overhauling pgstat.stat

От Atri Sharma
Тема Re: [rfc] overhauling pgstat.stat
Дата
Re: [rfc] overhauling pgstat.stat  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

Sent from my iPad

On 04-Sep-2013, at 15:39, Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga@uptime.jp> wrote:

> (2013/09/04 15:23), Atri Sharma wrote:
>>

>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On 04-Sep-2013, at 10:54, Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga@uptime.jp> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> I prefer the latter.
>>>
>>> Under the current implementation, DBA need to split single database
>>> into many smaller databases with considering access locality of the
>>> tables. It's difficult and could be change in future.
>>>
>>> And splitting the statistics data into many files (per table,
>>> for example) would cause another performance issue when
>>> collecting/showing statistics at once. Just my guess though.
>>>
>>> So, I'm looking for a new way to reduce I/O for the statistics data
>>> in general.
>>>
>>> Regards,

>> Right,thanks.
>>
>> How would using heap and BTree help here? Are we looking at a priority queue which supports the main storage system
ofthe stats?

> For example, when you read only a single block from your table,
> then you need to write all values in your database statistics next.
> It often generates large amount of i/o operation.
>
> However, if random access is allowed in the statistics, you can
> update only as single record for the specific table which you read.
> It would be less than 100 bytes for each table.
>
> I have no idea about how a priority queue can work here so far.
> However, if the statistics is overhauled, PostgreSQL would be able
> to host a much larger number of customers

Ah, now I get it. Thanks a ton for the detailed explanation.

Yes, a BTree will sufficiently isolate per table stats here and allow for random access.

Another thing I can think of is having a write back cache which could probably be used for a buffer before the actual
statswrite. I am just musing here though.

Regards,

Atri

Сообщение: Re: [rfc] overhauling pgstat.stat
Сообщение: Re: [rfc] overhauling pgstat.stat