Re: PoC Refactor AM analyse API

От Andrey Borodin
Тема Re: PoC Refactor AM analyse API
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> 8 дек. 2020 г., в 16:44, Denis Smirnov <sd@arenadata.io> написал(а):
>
> Andrey, thanks for your feedback!
>
> I agree that AMs with fix sized blocks can have much alike code in acquire_sample_rows() (though it is not a rule).
Butthere are several points about current master sampling.

> * It is not perfect - AM developers may want to improve it with other sampling algorithms.
> * It is designed with a big influence of heap AM - for example, RelationGetNumberOfBlocks() returns uint32 while
otherAMs can have a bigger amount of blocks.
> * heapam_acquire_sample_rows() is a small function - I don't think it is not a big trouble to write something alike
forany AM developer.
> * Some AMs may have a single level sampling (only algorithm Z from Vitter for example) - why not?
>
> As a result we get a single and clear method to acquire rows for statistics. If we don’t modify but rather extend
currentAPI ( for example in a manner it is done for FDW) the code becomes more complicated and difficult to understand.

This makes sense. Purpose of the API is to provide flexible abstraction. Current
table_scan_analyze_next_block()/table_scan_analyze_next_tuple()API assumes too much about AM implementation.
But why do you pass int natts and VacAttrStats **stats to acquire_sample_rows()? Is it of any use? It seems to break
abstractiontoo.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

От: Laurenz Albe
Сообщение: Re: Add session statistics to pg_stat_database
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: Proposed patch for key managment