Re: client/server versions

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: client/server versions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> On 21 Nov 2023, at 14:31, Dick Visser <dnmvisser@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2023 at 14:07, Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com <mailto:ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com>> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 6:29 AM Dick Visser <dnmvisser@gmail.com <mailto:dnmvisser@gmail.com>> wrote:

> I already found out that there are compatibility issues if I use the client programs from the Debian VM when they're
olderthan the server version.

> Like what?
>
> For starters:
>
> pg_restore: error: unsupported version (1.15) in file header

Older versions of tools are not guaranteed to be compatible with newer versions
of the server.  You should use the dump/restore tools of the version you are
targeting.  For other clients like psql it's usually fine to use the latest
version against older servers.

If you have a mix of server versions installed you need to put in the work of
ensuring you are using the right version of the clients as well.

--
Daniel Gustafsson