Re: Erroring out on parser conflicts

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Erroring out on parser conflicts
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 3 Dec 2008, at 03:32 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>> FYI, this is going to make it hard for developers to test CVS changes
>> until they get their grammar cleaned up;  perhaps add a comment on
>> how
>> to disable the check?
>
> Well, the point is that their grammar changes are broken if that check
> fails, so I'm not sure what the value of "testing" a known-incorrect
> grammar might be.  It wouldn't necessarily act the same after being
> fixed.

Well surely the c code the parser invokes will behave the same. A lot
of c hackers are not bison grammar hackers. Even many of us former
bison grammar hackers are way rusty. There have been a number of times
when someone has posted an otherwise working patch with a grammar
conflict you fixed

Bruce surely nobody would object if you posted a path to add a
comment. People would of course quibble with the wording but that's
just par for the course.

Perhaps something like "postgres jas a policy of maintaining zero
parser conflicts. If you disable this for testing make sure you re-
enable it and eliminate any conflicts. Or post to -hackers asking for
advice"

I'm not sure where to put a comment pointing them to the %expected
line though. What does the error look like if they violate it?