Re: Emacs vs pg_indent's weird indentation for function declarations

От Piotr Stefaniak
Тема Re: Emacs vs pg_indent's weird indentation for function declarations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 19/05/2019 19.27, Tom Lane wrote:
> Piotr Stefaniak <postgres@piotr-stefaniak.me> writes:
>> On 17/05/2019 16.48, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> It doesn't really seem practical to me to make the lookahead function
>>> smart enough to tell the difference between attributes and K&R-style
>>> parameter declarations.  What I'm thinking of doing to have an
>>> upstreamable patch is to invent a new switch, perhaps '-kr'/'-nkr',
>>> to indicate whether the user is more worried about K&R function
>>> declarations than she is about function attributes.
>
>> I think it's safe to assume that upstream can drop support for K&R-style
>> parameters altogether.
>
> Cool.  I already created the switch, but maybe we could have it
> default to -nkr?

Sorry, but GNU indent already uses -kr for something else and I would
like FreeBSD indent have something like that under the same name.
Besides, indent has too many options and this one doesn't look like
particularly desired by anyone. It's possible that someone will complain
some day, but I don't think we should assume that they'll do or that
they're more important than the other users who benefit from your change
being the default behavior and no additional options.