Re: [SQL] Re: SQL error: function round(double precision, integer)does not exist

От Vladimir Nicolici
Тема Re: [SQL] Re: SQL error: function round(double precision, integer)does not exist
Дата
Список pgsql-sql

In my opinion the integer version doesn’t prevent the fraction problem at all, since the rounding works on fractions, even when the result is an integer. In fact it seems to introduce what I would consider a bug, compared to doing the conversion explicitly, for example in this query:

select round(0.5::real), round(0.5::double precision), round((0.5::double precision)::numeric), round(0.5)

The result will be 0, 0, 1, 1, which is very strange.

I think, at the very least, the implicit and explicit conversions, -- round(0.5::double precision) and round((0.5::double precision)::numeric) -- should give the same result, and they don’t. Which reinforces my intuition that I should avoid the real and double precision data types whenever possible.

Thanks,

Vlad