Re: Gaps in PK sequence numbers

От Christophe Pettus
Тема Re: Gaps in PK sequence numbers
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> On Jun 10, 2024, at 15:57, Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> When I tried inserting new rows in the companies table psql told me that PK
> value 2310 already existed. Selecting max(PK) returned 2341. When entering
> multiple new rows is there a way to ignore gaps?

Strictly speaking, the sequence underlying nextval() has no idea what primary keys are or are not in use.  It's just a
transaction-ignoringcounter that increases with each nextval() call.  The only reason that you'd get duplicate key
errorsin this case are:

1. The sequence was reset to a different, lower value.
2. Rows were inserted that didn't use the sequence to select a primary key.