Re: Planet posting policy

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: Planet posting policy
Дата
Список pgsql-www

On Jan 30, 2012, at 2:37 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I have to say I am with JoshB on this one. I want to know *all* about PostgreSQL. I want Greenplum, VMWare, EDB
AdvancedServer and .Org represented because they all directly apply to what I do for a living. I want to know about all
thetools and all the options available to me.

Though these may seem like opposing arguments, I agree with both Simon and JD.  Planet blog entries should be
pertainingspecifically what's going on in the noncommercial part of the community, but at the same time, it's good for
theworld to be aware of what is being developed commercial and how PostgreSQL and it's derivatives are being employed.
Afterall, a lot of the commercial development does help provide the necessary financing to put new features into core.

That being said, based on the proposals for the Planet acceptance policy, there is too much of a "gray line" on what is
acceptable(even by just debate on the list over one entry).  Having two separate feeds is a possibility, and has a few
pros:

* Highlight both feeds on the postgresql.org home page (both in separate sections, and I would put community higher up)
-show what is happening in the community, and what is happening the commercial world, hopefully driving more interest
inboth
* Eliminate "confusion" over what is acceptable content in the community blogs

Having a commercial.planet.postresql.org could help community members working on commercial products highlight some of
thecool stuff they are doing, while not taking away from community-led efforts.  Thus the policy could be:

* If the work is strictly community related (i.e. the work is going directly into core, some extension, or some
open-sourcePostgres derivative or project), then it's on planet
* If the work is for a commercial product, it goes on the other feed

Jonathan