Re: Replaying 48 WAL files takes 80 minutes

От Albe Laurenz
Тема Re: Replaying 48 WAL files takes 80 minutes
Дата
Re: Replaying 48 WAL files takes 80 minutes
Список pgsql-performance

Jeff Janes wrote:
>> Could the slow log files be replaying into randomly scattered pages
>> which are not yet in RAM?
>>
>> Do you have sar or vmstat reports?

The sar reports from the time in question tell me that I read
about 350 MB/s and wrote less than 0.2 MB/s.  The disks were
fairly busy (around 90%).

Jeff Trout wrote:
> If you do not have good random io performance log replay is nearly
unbearable.

> also, what io scheduler are you using? if it is cfq change that to
deadline or noop.
> that can make a huge difference.

We use the noop scheduler.
As I said, an identical system performed well in load tests.

The sar reports give credit to Jeff Janes' theory.
Why does WAL replay read much more than it writes?
I thought that pretty much every block read during WAL
replay would also get dirtied and hence written out.

I wonder why the performance is good in the first few seconds.
Why should exactly the pages that I need in the beginning
happen to be in cache?

And finally: are the numbers I observe (replay 48 files in 80
minutes) ok or is this terribly slow as it seems to me?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe