Re: Problem with listen_addresses = '*' on 8.4beta2 on AIX

От Albe Laurenz
Тема Re: Problem with listen_addresses = '*' on 8.4beta2 on AIX
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Merlin Moncure wrote:
> I wrote:
>> I can try, but I only have AIX 5.3 to test with, so I won't be able
>> to test for bugs in other versions.
>>
>> I would need to know what the problems with getaddrinfo on AIX are.
>>
>> I'll also try to investigate known bugs in AIX' getaddrinfo.
>>
>> AIX 4.3 has been out of support for some time - if it makes the
>> task easier, would it be an option to desupport it?
>
> We have 4.3 and a 6.0 here.  4.3 is pretty old, I don't think it's a
> big deal if we can't get it to work, as long as libpq works.

Ok, I did a bit of research here.

First, the only cases that affect us are the following:

a) listen_addresses = '*'  Then the "hostname" argument to getaddrinfo will be NULL, and  the "servname" argument will
be"5432" or similar.

b) listen_addresses = ''  This does not affect us, since it will not call getaddrinfo.

c) listen_addresses = 'host1[,...]'  Then the "hostname" argument will be host1 (DNS name or IPv4/6  address), and
"servname"will be "5432" or similar.

Moreover, in the struct addrinfo "hint", the following will be set:  ai_flags = AI_PASSIVE  ai_family = AF_UNSPEC
ai_socktype= SOCK_STREAM
and all other hints will be zero.

Did I cover all cases?

I tested getaddrinfo() on my AIX 5.3 ML 03 with these cases,
and I did not encounter any problems and the result looked right.

I searched the bug database at IBM, and the only APARs that looked
like they might affect us are:

IY40908, IY45130 = IY44782, IY47326 = IY46612 = IY48232, IY46023,
IY51966 = IY50970, IY54776, IZ00799 and IY86414 = IY86549.

Since it works on my system, I wonder if the machines where it fails did
not have any fixpacks installed.

Does Andrew Chernow's machine have the terminal fixpack installed?
I wonder what problem he encountered when he said "the service argument
to getaddrinfo is busted on AIX 4.3".

Maybe it would be good enough to state that AIX is only supported with
certain fixpacks installed? And do without all the AIX hacks?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe