Re: How to restore a SQL-ASCII encoded database to a new UTF-8 db?

От Albe Laurenz
Тема Re: How to restore a SQL-ASCII encoded database to a new UTF-8 db?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> I have a database that was created with SQL-ASCII encoding
> (unfortunately).  I ran pg_restore to load the struct and data into a
> new database with UTF-8 encoding but no surprise- I'm seeing this
> error for a number of tables:
>
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] COPY failed: ERROR:  invalid byte
> sequence for encod
> ing "UTF8"
>
> Any idea on how I can copy the data between these databases without
> any data loss?  For some reason I thought that a conversion to Unicode
> would be easy.

Conversion to Unicode is easy if you know the encoding of your data
and that is consistent :^)

Try to figure out the encoding of your data.

Then dump in text format and change the "SET client_encoding"
line in the dump accordingly.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe