Re: Postgres Security Checklist

От Albe Laurenz
Тема Re: Postgres Security Checklist
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Eduardo Henrique wrote:
> Hi, I'm developing a Graduation Work about Database security.
> My idea is develop an application that connect in an database
> (in this case Postgres) and make some security verification
> of that db. The problem is that my verification only can be
> in a dabatase scope. I can't include Network and OS threats.
> Unfortunaly i didn't find a good material about postgres
> security. The good things that i found (articles and
> checklists) were about MSQLSERVER and Oracle.
> I would like to know if you have any material about this
> subject (book, article, checklists and etc) that eventualy
> could help me in this work.

Here is my personal security checklist for PostgreSQL:

- Check that there is no SQL function with SECURITY DEFINER.
- Check that only the DBA has SUPERUSER, CREATEDB oder CREATEROLE privileges.
- Check that no password is equal to the user name or some "initial standard password" that your company uses.
- Check that ssl=on.
- Check that nobody except for superusers has any privileges on pg_catalog.pg_authid.
- Check that you are running the latest release for your version of PostgreSQL.
- Check that no privileges on objects are granted to PUBLIC.
- Check that no privileges on objects were granted WITH GRANT OPTION.
- Check that only local users have "trust" authentication in pg_hba.conf.
- Check that pg_hba.conf forces remote connections to use SSL.
- Check that pg_hba.conf forbids remote connections to use "password", "crypt" or "ident" authentication.

Most of these can be checked with normal SQL statements. For the ones
that have to examine pg_hba.conf, I use an untrusted PL/Perl function
that reads the file.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe